Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Pressure

So my old boss came to see how I was doing in my new job this morning (my first "official" day was today), and I told him things are fine (I haven't really had any training on how I need to do what my new boss wants me to, but I'm putting as much as I can together and then on Friday I presume we will get together to discuss things). Since my new boss hasn't been around more than 10 minutes, it's difficult to understand how things were done in the previous month, but I suppose sometimes stumbling your way through you get to learn what it entails in more detail for later discussion.

Anyway, my old boss told me that my new boss is very approachable and very fair, however he didn't get to the top by being nice. My new boss expects things to be done right, and he expects people to work hard. I can do these things, I just hope that I don't make any mistakes... I worry that sometimes even if I triple check things that sometimes I might not see something that I should have changed. Still, I'm hopeful that I will discover any mistakes before I "turn things in".

I'm also told that I will have the head of the whole department (in charge of 2,000 people) giving me things to do too. He's very nice as well and quite approachable. So with all this pressure to do things correctly, I really hope I live up to being able to. I have to. My old boss told me that not only have I been given a great opportunity to network, to learn new things, and to prove myself to executives, but I am also representing Scorecard Management, the department that I was previously working at (and will likely go back to in 10 months so far as I know). It's a lot of pressure, so I have to gather all my confidence and play and do my part in this new role.

Send all your hopes and best wishes this way for me over the next 10 weeks... ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck, although I am sure you will do a great job...sounds like a great chance to shine!!

gumball

Anonymous said...

You will do a great job there, just as you always have done. After a few weeks of doing a great job you can relax a little as they and you will know what a great employee you are.

Arrow