Monday, July 7, 2008

Freezing Penguins

This article really hit a soft spot with me, and it makes me wish I could do something to help the situation: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/07/080702-endangered-penguins.html
Basically, baby penguins who haven't yet developed the feathers necessary to repel water are dying. The summer Antarctic days see heavy rain, while the nights see temperatures below freezing, so the baby penguins are literally freezing to death since their feathers are still wet from the rains. They say this is attributed to Global Warming...

I'm glad to be able to say that I walk to and from work every day and I take public transportation (also because I have to), at least that helps, but I do enjoy long, warm showers, so that pretty much counters the good things I do for the environment. I will have to look into how to be more eco-conscious, and if any of you have suggestions, feel free to throw them out there.

No comments: