Monday, June 2, 2008

Home Sweet Home!

I got home a couple hours ago, and am getting sleepier by the minute, but I want to unpack and stay up until a normal bedtime (it's only 4 pm).

My flights were fine today, but I was scared I wasn't going to make the connections each time (Lima to Miami -- Miami to London -- London to Dublin), so I ran and got all sweaty (took a shower when I got home). I ended up having plenty time after running to the gates though. It's just that I never knew if the lines would be long for checking in bags, security, immigration, collecting my luggage, rechecking my bags, etc. Plus, I'm not familiar with the airports to know if the terminals / gates are miles away and I have to take a train or shuttle bus or if it's a 20 minute walk. Anyway though, I made them all fine and with time to spare.

In Miami, I bought a Pizza Hut pizza with my credit card since I don't have dollars (only euros) and then later saw a nice banana at a little kiosk store that I wanted to get. But that store wouldn't take my credit card and threw the banana back at me and told me to put it back (she was quite rude). There was a guy behind me that was awfully nice and he paid $1.06 for me to have the banana. I told him thank you very much. And on the Miami - London flight, I was sitting next to a really nice girl about my age who's from Jamaica. She was telling me about the island and she seemed really nice. We watched the same movie and shows on the flight, and we exchanged email addresses, so maybe if I ever go to Jamaica, I will have a friend.

I'm glad to be home, but I miss Peru at the same time. I really liked talking in Spanish, plus I just really enjoy the people in Peru; they have such a different and lovely view on life, they're all mostly happy even if they don't have much. It really makes you wonder about the quality of life that exists in the Western world cultures. I do like the lack of humidity here in Ireland though, I don't miss that part of Peru in the rain forest!

I will write some more about my adventures in Peru tomorrow, for now, I need to clear the mess that I've made on my bed so that I can sleep tonight!