Thursday, June 26, 2008

Negative Energy >:-[

I don't normally complain on my blog, but today has me steaming with negative energy.

Whoever coined the phrase: "There's no such thing as failure, only feedback" clearly wasn't having to deal with trying to engage employees who don't want anything to do with improving their workplace's results from the American Gallup survey.

I thought this job duty would be fun. I'd intended to make sure everyone understood what constitutes each question, and I also had some fun activities that I thought would help people get more in touch with how important they are for the bank, and also ways to come up with ideas that would improve morale and overall happiness in the workplace and with their work. But not one person showed any interest, as usual. This was my second time holding this type of meeting, and I thought by being prepared with things to do, that it would help stimulate positive conversation and get people thinking about the kinds of things we might be able to do something about (rather than them just complaining about things that are out of our control to change). One girl was great and kept intercepting everyone's negativity with a few ideas, which helped keep the meeting somewhat at bay, but it really was just completely disheartening and unfulfilling to host this meeting where no one wants to be there, most people try to avoid coming to the meetings, and the atmosphere reeks of this attitude.

I feel like I fail in being a good leader... A good leader should be able to pull everyone out of this funk and engage others just by their words and enthusiastic thoughts... Mine weren't strong enough :-(

1 comment:

Deni J. said...

Don't be so hard on yourself! I can think of a whole lot of sayings here - like "you can lead a horse to water...." or "you can't change someone unless they want to want to change themselves!" that might encourage you. If it was "easy", it would already be done - and you wouldn't be trying to do it (especially not the second time!)