Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Creative Juices Will Flow

Three happy thoughts...

1. I found an unused bus pass (2-way) on my walk into work this morning! Not much (only worth 2.10 euros), but exciting to get something for nothing.

2. My co-workers. This morning on the way to work, I started thinking how I'd love to pick up and find a new job again in another new location. You'd think I enjoy the unknown with the way I'm talking, coupled with the recent career-jumping in my life, but those who know me know that I like having security, so it must stem more from just wanting what I do to feel meaningful and important, or at least creative and useful. Well, I'll keep searching, but for now I have a job that I enjoy because of great co-workers, and I'm so grateful for this.

3. Today I had a meeting about Employee Engagement (which stems from our department's recent Gallup Pole results). I've been asked to lead discussions for the year to figure out ways to improve or maintain our scores. This has been occurring in Bank of Ireland between departments for the last number of years, and although people are fairly tired of it, I'm kind of excited to lead it. This may change as the year goes on (there will be monthly meetings), but for now, it almost leads back to my thoughts in #2. I don't know that I'd be able to make this job completely satisfactory for myself because of my desire to want to make a creative difference in the world, but I can put myself in the shoes of all the questions and try to figure out what I would like to change to improve my scores and hopefully others will chime in. We'll see where it goes...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your job may not be the most creative in the world, but it does make mine a lot easier (and a lot more fun). So if you do try to leave I will handcuff you to your desk so there

Dave